Friday, April 29, 2011

Sitefinity bindingRedirect with RadControls

I recently began developing with the latest version of the RadControls (Q1 2011), however, my existing website was still running on Sitefinity v. 3.7 SP4 on .Net 4.0.  Of course, the latest version of the RadControls are not compatible with this released version of Sitefinity, and given that all of the Sitefinity assemblies are strong named, this would be a problem while compiling my custom web application.

Fortunately, I found this article which seemed to indicate that a bindingRedirect could be performed on the Telerik.Web.UI DLL.  http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/deployment/problem-with-versions-of-radcontrols.aspx

After applying these changes to my Web.config file, sure enough, Sitefinity worked in conjunction with my custom ASP.Net Web Application.

Unfortunately, that is not the end of the story.  After working with my updated Sitefinity web site, I began noticing that the performance of my Sitefinity web site had degraded severely.  In many instances, I could not even get my pages to ever render.  My browser would simply time out attempting to retrieve the pages.

After doing a significant amount of testing and research, I determined that the most likely culprit was the bindingRedirect I had put in place.

Therefore, I worked through my existing Visual Studio project to re-bind my References to the version of Telerik.Web.UI that shipped with Sitefinity v. 3.7 SP4.  After completing my changes, my uploaded the newly compiled assembly to my website and attempted to access my Sitefinity web site once again.

Voila!  My site was suddenly was able to render almost instantaneously!  Most pages were back to their normal speedy self.

So what is the moral of the story??  Stick with the versions of the RadControls that ship with Sitefinity!  If you don't, you could render your site completely unusable.

No comments:

Post a Comment