Thursday, November 7, 2013

VMWare Workstation 9 and Windows Server 2012 R2

 

I decided to install Windows Server 2012 R2 for the first time today on VMWare Workstation 10.

Since Windows Server 2012 R2 is an upgrade from Windows Server 2012, I decided to take a chance and actually upgrade my Windows Server 2012 instance.

Well, after the upgrade was complete, I noticed the first thing that was not working was VMWare Tools!!

After uninstalling and re-installing VMWare Tools, I realized that VMWare Tools was never going to work in a VMWare Workstation 9 virtual machine because of the new OS. (Because the virtual machine was still set to VMWare Workstation 9 compatibility, the VMWare Tools for VMWare Workstation v. 9 continue to be installed rather than the newer v. 10 VMWare Tools).

Therefore, I was forced to upgrade the compatibility of my virtual machine (from v. 9.0 to v. 10.0) in order to get VMWare Tools up and running again.

So if you are hoping to run Windows Server 2012 R2 on your existing installations of VMWare Workstation 9—think again….

No comments:

Post a Comment