Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Internet Explorer 11 memory usage

With the release of Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11, I decided to upgrade my Windows 8 system to Windows 8.1 and try my hand out on IE 11.

With other browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, I have long been a HUGE fan of opening multiple tabs (as many as 40+) and leaving them open session after session of restarting the browser.

To be honest, I have always found IE to be one of the slowest browsers in the market despite Microsoft's claims to the contrary primarily because of its close ties to the Windows operating system thus causing dependencies in the Windows OS to slow down initial startup of the browser.

Well, with all of the claims that Microsoft has been making about IE 11, I decided to give it a spin and use it similarly to how I normally and regularly use alternative browsers such as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Well, after using IE and keeping 19 tabs open, I noticed the memory usage reached a whopping 1 GB of memory!!

Here is a screenshot of Windows Task Manager showing the comparative memory usage between the various browsers:





So, if you are a heavy browser user that loves to keep multiple tabs open, IE 11 is definitely NOT the browser for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment