Thursday, May 8, 2014

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed and VMWare Virtual Machines

I frequently use virtual machines to test out and verify installations and I was testing out an installation of SharePoint which did not work correctly, so consequently, I restored to a previous snapshot.

Unfortunately, after I rebooted the machine, I received the following error message:





Uh oh!!

In the past, I have had to log in locally to the machine and remove the computer from the domain and re-join it to the domain.

Well, thanks to these articles, however, I was able to avoid doing just that: http://implbits.com/About/Blog/tabid/78/post/don-t-rejoin-to-fix-the-trust-relationship-between-this-workstation-and-the-primary-domain-failed/Default.aspx
http://blog.blksthl.com/2013/03/18/fix-the-trust-relationship-between-this-workstation-and-the-primary-domain-failed/

Since I was running Windows Server 2012 R2, I decided to run the PowerShell script to resolve my issue:
Clear-Host
#Syntax for the command is Reset-ComputerMachinePassword -Credential [domain name\domain account] -Server [domain controller server name]
Reset-ComputerMachinePassword -Credential spfarm\administrator -Server spfarmdc

After a reboot of the server, the issue was resolved and I was up and running again!

Therefore, if restoring a VMWare Snapshot triggers this issue for you, now you know how to solve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment