Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Importing Managed Metadata into the Term Store

If you need to move Managed Metadata Terms from one SharePoint Farm to another, then you can follow this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/taj/archive/2011/01/11/site-collection-backup-restore-and-managed-metadata.aspx

However, when I ran the Import-SPMetadataWebServicePartitionData PowerShell cmdlet, I encountered the following error message:

You do not have permission to use the bulk load statement.

Fortunately, I found this article, which deals with this issue: http://www.lucacostante.com/item/5-import-spmetadatawebservicepartitiondata-you-do-not-have-permission-to-use-the-bulk-load-statement.html

As it turns out, I needed to add the "bulkadmin" permission to the user in SQL Server that was assigned to the Managed Metadata database.


 
Once I did that, I was able to successfully run the import statement!
 
Below was the completed PowerShell statement that I used:
 
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell
 
 
Clear-Host
 
$mmsGuid = "cd373ccc-2a40-411f-b4ab-eecf249bdaa0"
$mmsApp = $mmsGuid;
$backupFile = "C:\root\MMS.bak";
$mmsProxy = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | Where-Object {$_.TypeName -like "Managed Metadata*"}
Import-SPMetadataWebServicePartitionData -Identity $mmsApp -ServiceProxy $mmsProxy -Path $backupFile -OverwriteExisting;

 

However, I did notice ONE MAJOR THING:

 

The import ONLY deals with Managed Metadata Global Terms.  Any locally created Managed Metadata Terms that were created WILL NOT BE IMPORTED.  I guess this needs to be handled separately (possibly through manually creating a CSV file and Importing the Term Set).


No comments:

Post a Comment