Thursday, February 19, 2015

Google Chrome blocks download of executables and MSIs

I have been a long time user of both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but more recently I have been using Mozilla Firefox because of the smaller overall memory footprint.

I just recently re-imaged my laptop and was surprised to discover that Google Chrome was installed by default.

Therefore, I launched Google Chrome and attempted to download my favorite zip utility (WinZip) from the following Url: http://www.winzip.com/dprob.htm

I was immediately surprised to discover the following error message when I attempted to download the files:


After reading this article: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2898334?p=ib_download_blocked&hl=en&rd=2, I discovered that I needed to change a setting in Advanced Settings-->Privacy

I needed to turn off the setting for "Enable phishing and malware protection"



Once I turned off that settings, I was once again able to download executables and MSIs on my system!!

No comments:

Post a Comment