Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Does the ActiveDirectory Membership Provider support local Windows NT credentials?

I was recently setting up a project to use the ASP.NET Active Directory Membership Provider and I was not sure whether or not the Active Directory Membership Provider would support local Windows NT credentials. 

I decided to take a look at the MSDN article for the Active Directory Membership Provider: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.security.activedirectorymembershipprovider%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Based on the article, it seemed that Windows NT connections would not be supported, but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Once I hit the Membership.ValidateUser method, I encountered the following error message:






Therefore, it seemed that Windows NT credentials would not be supported after all!

So, there you have it!  You can only use the Active Directory Membership Provider with Active Directory and ADAM/ADLDS (Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment