Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A specified logon session does not exist in Windows 10

I was recently helping a friend with his Windows 10 machine to connect to his network NAS device and I encountered this error message:

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

This was incredibly odd since he stated that it had been working fine just a few weeks earlier!

Well, after a quick search on the Internet, I came across this posting: http://superuser.com/questions/968879/windows-10-map-network-drive-a-specified-logon-session-does-not-exist

According to the posting, it stated that a Windows update changed the behavior of Windows 10 causing standard connectivity to network devices such as NAS devices using a guest account would require special setup through Credential Manager!

Here are the steps I followed to get this up and running:

I opened Credential Manager from the Windows Control Panel:




I then clicked on "Windows Credentials":



I then clicked on the link for "Add a Windows credential"


I then proceeded to enter the credentials for my network device in the format \\MYNASDEVICE



When I next connected to my friend's NAS device simply using \\MYNASDEVICE in Windows Explorer, it opened without any issues!  Hurrah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment